Monday, July 12, 2010

project.




this is something that i've always struggled with: knowing when I'm done. With my thesis paintings I came up with a process that relied on the materials I was using to tell me when I'm done.

right now i'm painting a self portrait. i haven't truly painted from life since december... it's kind of scary. but it feels really really good. aside from the fact that i primed the back of the canvas instead of the front and the oil is soaking in, the hardest part for me is knowing when I'm done. There are so many times in every step of the process of painting that I think, "well this looks cool, i could be done." I guess what I'm trying to come to is the point where I like what's on the canvas and I feel like i can't paint it anymore. Which, weirdly, I'm not really sure I've actually done before...

so I'm going to post the process of this self portrait.

No comments:

Post a Comment